Sunday, November 25, 2018
JR Newsletter: 25 November 2018 (421)
This week's contribution comes from Brad Karoleff:
Here is the latest group of items from the Logan Library for sale.
As always, first to respond buys the lot plus shipping, either Book Rate or Priority; buyers choice.
1. 5 COAC books. Coinages of the Americas conference books issued by the ANS in NYC. A collection of papers presented at the ANS during their conferences. Included here are the following with some Logan tipins:
1986 America's Silver Coinage with some autographs
1989 America's Gold Coinage
1993 America's Silver Dollars
1996 America's Large Cent
1998 Circulating Counterfeits of the Americas
Great research by many of the Hobby's luminaries. A must have for anyone's library. All are very fine or better.
All 5 books for $175.
2. United States Half Dimes by Valentine, the Durst reprint fine or better.
Early Half Dollar Die Varieties by Overton, the 1970 edition, fifth printing, like new with dust jacket.
The United States Early Silver Dollars by Bolender, 1950. Some water staining and wear. Not pretty but usable. Includes Russ Tipins.
Penny Whimsy by Sheldon, Quarterman reprint Fine with dustjacket exhibiting some tears.
All 4 books for $100.
3. Selections from the Numismatist by the ANA, 1960, Fine with corner bump.
The Fantastic 1804 Dollar, 1962 fine with Logan Tipins.
Both books for $65.
4. Medals of the United States Mint by R W Julian, 1977 in near mint condition with, what else but more Logan Tipins. $125.
5. 5 Volumes of Stacks auction catalogs of the famous John Ford Collection. Included here are parts 3 5, 6, 7 and 15. All are excellent condition with some light soiling.
All 5 catalogs for $125.
6. 3 Important auction catalogs. W Earl Spies silver dollars by Stack's 1974 no PR excellent conditon.
Will W Neil collection by Mehl 1947, with PR but slightly bent.
The United States Gold Collection by Bowers and Ruddy 1982, with PR corner bend to cover but still nice.
All 3 catalogs for $75.
7. 4 volume set of the Harry Bass Jr collection sold by Bowers and Merena, 1999-2000. All catalogs show some light problems but are near mint, no PR. Set of 4 for $125.
8. 3 volume set of the Norweb collection sold by Bowers and Merena, 1987-88. First two volumes with PR. All 3 show use and there are notes on individual lots made by Russ at the sale. Set of 3 for $100.
9. Lot of 3 items for the Eliasberg collection! First, a prepublication copy of part of the catalog that Russ reviewed. A hardbound copy of Louis E Eliasberg, Sr, King of Coins by QDB signed to Russ. Lastly a Hardbound copy of the sale with the autographed bookplate numbered 112. The books are near mint and there are Logan Tipins. The lot for $150.
10. Lastly for now. A copy of the 1970 Revised Edition of Overton first printing SIGNED! Overton passed soon after the issuance of his Revised Edition of his masterpiece. They are very scarce with his signature, especially not dedicated to someone, as this one is showing only his signature. Russ' working copy used as a checklist with notations. Included is a conversion table from the first edition numbers to the ones we use today. Book shows significant wear and has the notations mentioned before. A great piece of half dollar history. Yours for $150.
Please reply to bkaroleff(at)yahoo.com to order any of these books for your library. Include your mailing address with your response and I will notify you of whether you were the winning bidder or not. Best of luck and Happy Holidays to all.