Sunday, April 24, 2016

JR Newsletter: 24 April 2016 (290)




From Sophie Aurelia Mears, wife of Kirk Gorman:

It is with great sadness that we must inform you all that Kirk Gorman departed this life on April 18. He fought brain cancer like a beast for 10 long months. His passing was peaceful, surrounded by loved ones, and in the end that was the best we could hope for. Thank you for all the prayers, good wishes and flowers. I am so proud to have been his wife, and in daily awe of our son Hank and Kirk's incredible daughters Sara and Alex. He is survived by his wife Sophie Aurelia Mears, his two daughters Sara and Alex, and his son Henry. We would like to extend our thanks for all your love and support during his illness. Information on his service will follow.

 -Sophie Aurelia Mears

--

Winston Zack added:

I felt it was most appropriate to have Kirk's wife, Sophie, send the numismatic community a message about Kirk's passing. I know I will miss Kirk. I have wonderful memories of him, and was happy to call him a great friend. I would appreciate collecting stories from the JR Newsletter and JRCS community, along with any photos of Kirk that you may have and wish to share. I plan to give these memories to Kirk's family to show them how much we will miss our great friend during his service, to be held this coming Saturday April 30 (time and location TBD). Please send your stories/memories/photos to my email: stoneman101(at)gmail.com

Sincerely,
Winston

------

Other topics for the week:

Brad Karoleff wrote:

The latest issue of the JRJ (26/1) went to the printer on the 19th and, hopefully, many went out in the mail yesterday.  Members should begin receiving their issues early this week.  If you do not receive your copy in 10 days please contact me at bkaroleff(at)yahoo.com and I will send another.

The summer issue must go out before the ANA in August.  We have a wonderful article promised to us for the issue, but still need to fill over half the pages.  If you have anything in the works that can be ready for publication in July please send it to me ASAP for formatting.

The next census will be for the bust quarters.  It will appear in the Winter issue of the journal.  So, quarter collectors get your census ready and watch the next journal for instructions on how to send it to Dr. Peterson.  You might even want to purchase a few new coins at the ANA for inclusion!

Please remember that you can nominate members for our Hall of Fame by contacting Richard Meaney.  There are two categories, veteran - before the advent of JRCS, and modern - members of the club.  Send your nominations today and the new inductee(s) will be announced at the ANA convention.

Thanks to all who have submitted articles for publication and helped with the management of the club.  Through your efforts the membership of JRCS will continue to enjoy the "hobby of kings."

Brad Karoleff
------

David Perkins wrote:

I will have Table 910 at the Central States Numismatic Society (CSNS) Convention in Chicago this coming week, and will be there Wednesday through mid-afternoon on Saturday.

I will have most but not all of the early silver and other coins posted on my website.  All of the remaining Miller Early Dollars 1794-1803 will be there.  In addition, I will have some new consignments with some rarities that are not photographed or posted to my website yet.  Website will be officially launched shortly after CSNS, but is basically live now at www.davidperkinsrarecoins.com

For those JR News readers and JRCS members, I have a new consignment of Draped and Capped Bust Quarters and other early silver.  I am setting up a new early quarter distribution list, like the lists I have for early half dimes and dimes.  If you would like your name and e-mail added to this early quarter list, please send a note to me at wdperki(at)attglobal.net  and I will add you to the list.  

 Those on my early dime list received a note a few days ago offering an 1834 JR-6 Capped Bust Dime with three retained cuds on the reverse.  It was sold within the hour, with a second order the following morning.  What was neat is that I received a few notes with photos of examples of this die marriage and die state from a few JRCS members.  It is a popular LDS dime, for sure!  A photo is below for those who were not on this distribution list and who like late die states and cuds.

Hope to see you in Chicago.  Thanks.

W. David Perkins
Centennial, CO


No comments:

Post a Comment