Sunday, February 11, 2024

JR Newsletter: 11 February 2024 (617)

Steve Herrman and Brad Karoleff wrote to us to tell us about our speaker and topic for this Wednesday’s JRCS meeting via Zoom at 7 PM Easter.  We have a topic for the meeting, 'Becoming a Nut', a 15-20 minute talk by Paul Nies.

--

 

Jerry Zonca wrote: 

 

 I've composed a short piece to add to the Newsletter along with a linked PDF document with a listing of the remaining 18 Capped Bust Half Dollars from my collection of 445 die marriages. All of the coins that remain in my collection are R-4+ or higher rarities.


Linked document is here:  https://mcusercontent.com/74a0e3c37d154d935bdeb2daf/files/db9e8443-4bd8-b9c2-88d8-0cb57a9bd8b2/New_Doc_for_18_CBHDs.pdf

 

Over the past few years I have been selling off my coin collection and my collection of Capped Bust Half Dollars (CBHDs). I did not have the resources to buy really nice straight graded coins until about 10 years ago when I started to upgrade some of my earlier purchases of the more common die marriages (DMs). The philosophy of my collecting CBHDs was that I wanted to get as many DMs as possible as quickly as possible. If I found a coin with obvious problems, like being cleaned or hair lined, and it was listed as a R-4 coin or rarer, I would purchase the piece if the problem was not extreme with the intention of upgrading at a later date. The CBHDs collection peaked at 445 die marriages and at that point I realized that I was not getting any younger and nobody in my family has any interest in my collection.

 

  In late October of 2023 I sent off all of my raw CBHDs to PCGS for grading and encapsulation. The last group was received in the first week of January of this year and it surprised me. Some of the coins that I had graded came back with details grading and some of the coins that had problems that would eliminate them from a straight grade came back straight graded. Of the 18 remaining coins, all of them are R-4+ or higher rarities, which means that there are fewer than 120 or less known of these DMs. Twelve have been details graded and I have included the pedigree of all of the coins, if known.

 

 The coins are being sold on a first come first served basis and any reasonable offers will be considered. If an offer is submitted and I accept or counter offer, you have 24 hours to decide on the counter offer. All coins are being sold as is and no returns will be accepted. If you want an opinion about something on a coin or a condition that the photos do not show clearly, I will do my best to explain what I see but please remember that I am not a professional grader. The buyer is responsible for the shipping costs and I only ship via USPS 3-day Priority with signature required for about $17.00 or USPS Registered Mail for about $28.00 and which way to ship is your decision.

 

Please send any offers or questions to me at jazonca(at)att.net

 

Thanks for taking the time to look over the list; Take Care and Be Safe,

Jerry Zonca BHNC #150 and JRCS #1037

No comments:

Post a Comment